I'm a Republican because...
- I BELIEVE the strength of our nation lies with the individual and that each person's dignity, freedom, ability and responsibility must be honored.
- I BELIEVE in equal rights, equal justice and equal opportunity for all, regardless of race, creed, sex, age or disability.
- I BELIEVE free enterprise and encouraging individual initiative have brought this nation opportunity, economic growth and prosperity.
- I BELIEVE government must practice fiscal responsibility and allow individuals to keep more of the money they earn.
- I BELIEVE the proper role of government is to provide for the people only those critical functions that cannot be performed by individuals or private organizations, and that the best government is that which governs least.
- I BELIEVE the most effective, responsible and responsive government is government closest to the people.
- I BELIEVE Americans must retain the principles that have made us strong while developing new and innovative ideas to meet the challenges of changing times.
- I BELIEVE Americans value and should preserve our national strength and pride while working to extend peace, freedom and human rights throughouth the world.
- FINALLY, I believe the Republican Party is the best vehicle for translating these ideals into positive and successful principles of government.
Individual Rights and Freedoms make America Great
Health Reform Yes, Socialized Medicine NO!
- We believe that we have individual Rights given to us by our creator.
- Individuals have privileges and responsibilities that are inherent within those Rights.
- America is great because its people are great. Not because government is great.
- The rights of the individual are more important than the rights of the government.
- Each individual, regardless of race or creed or sexual preference, has the Right to pursue happiness with a minimum of governmental interference or intervention.
- Individuals can make better decisions about their futures than government bureaucrats can make for those individuals.
- America is great because its people aspire for independence, not dependence.
- Parents can raise their children better with minimal government interference.
- Republicans believe that the American People are Good and the United States is the most benevolent country in the World, especially during times of disaster.
- Government has enough money and needs to become more efficient and more accountable to its people.
- Government programs spend too much of their budgets on administrator’s salaries instead of for the beneficiaries of those programs.
- Lower tax rates result in greater tax collections by the Federal Government. The 2001 Tax Cuts should be made permanent.
- La Plata County Tax revenues have significant dependence upon the oil and gas industry. Public policy should encourage formation of new businesses and the expansion of the economic base. As oil and gas revenues decrease, the City and County should adjust spending before increasing the tax burden on residential and commercial property.
- Tax revenues should be used for essential government responsibilities.
Health Reform Yes, Socialized Medicine NO!
- The United States has the best healthcare system in the world. “Universal Healthcare” is the same as socialized healthcare. Universal healthcare will decrease the quality of healthcare we enjoy now. More doctors and healthcare providers entering or remaining in the workplace will increase the quality and affordability of healthcare.
- We support educating more doctors and nurses.
- We support the equalization of Medicare payments to healthcare providers on the West Slope and simplifying the insurance payment process.
- We will support buying health insurance across state lines.
- Health insurance should be portable and be owned by the individual not the business.
- Medical care obtions should be between your health care profesional and the patient.
- Each individual should have the opportunity to invest in medical savings accounts, with or independent of insurance companies.
- Encourage more individuals to become doctors and nurses when there are more qualified schools or when existing schools increase enrollments.
- We need tort reform. Liability insurance will be more affordable when it is more difficult for lawyers to sue doctors for false or frivolous claims.
- Individuals spend their healthcare dollars wiser than bureaucrat mandated and dictated programs.